Underground Wellness

Friday, December 23, 2011

Water Kefir Update

Well four days has passed since a put the water kefir grains to hydrating. This morning it was time to start my first batch of water kefir. I mixed a 1/4 cup of organic pure cane sugar in a little warm water and filled the rest of the quart jar with cool water and in went the grains. I chose to use the organic sugar versus the rapadura that I used to hydrate it with because the color was throwing me off. Being that this is our first batch, I think maybe lighter and sweeter might be the way to go. We can experiment more down the line. I will let it sit for two days to try and have the kefir use up most of the sugar. Then on to the lemonade. We are not much on soda here, so I am not using this as a soda replacement. I am more looking to have and extra way to get those good bacteria into our systems.
If you are interested in learning more on the benefits of water kefir you can take a look at Cultures for Health, they have an extensive resource of articles on the benefits of water kefir, among other cultured foods. I wish all of you a safe, happy and health holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment